Friday, June 27, 2008

Happy Birthday Dad



As family tradition would dictate, we will start with this...Dad was born at a very young age. For every one of our birthdays, without fail, that would be the first one liner that Dad would pull out at the family dinner. There are a few more one-liners, but I am drawing a blank right now...I'm sure my brothers and sisters can comment with the others.

Dad was born in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. If I remember right, he was born in an old brick hospital on Main Street that is now a restaurant. I tried to find a picture of it, but unfortunately a general picture of Main Street was about the best I could do. Dad has done a lot of incredible things in his life...he was the Chief of Staff in the Department of Interior under Jim Watt. After his experience in D.C., he went to work for a consulting firm in California...I'm not sure of the details, but all I know is that he quit his job in California because of a difference in opinion about an ethical situation. I have never asked him much about this, but it has always served as an example to me (maybe I'll find out that I had this all wrong). After he quit his job in California (without another lined up), he started a shaved ice shack on Oceanside Pier and at the Carlsbad mall to bridge the gap between jobs. The family ran it for about a year before we moved to Utah where he started working at Shipley Associates. Years later, he accomplished one of my dreams...he, along with some partners, bought Shipley Associates back from Franklin Covey and ran it as their own. This is just the tip of the iceberg of his accomplished life, but it gives you a taste.

Now he is in Ghana as the Executive Secretary to the Area President of West Africa. He has done some tremendous things in his life, and this just adds to the list. He has been a great example to his six kids. We have all turned out well and he now has 17 grandchildren (if I am counting right). He has always put family first.

Wow...this is not supposed to sound like a eulogy, but Dad is an incredible person that I will always look up to. Happy birthday Dad! I hope the Ghanaians are throwing a huge celebration for you. We look forward to seeing you in a little over a year and we love you very much. Beck looked at this picture today and said, "that's Grandpa...he's in Africa."

4 comments:

Chelsea said...

I can't believe your parents are in Ghana. Crazy!

Matt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marian said...

Dad Shipley says: Jon thanks for the kind words. We are keeping very busy. The Area Presidency are all out of the country. I've been fielding alot of calls that would normally go to them. There's no shortage of excitement. I love you all. Pop

Katie said...

Hi...I know this is random, but I found your blog. I was in the same ward with Jess and Candice back in California. Anyways, my in laws were just called as mission presidents in Ghana...I'm just wondering if your dad is working with them. My father in law's name is Mel Sabey...small world.