Monday, January 12, 2009

Happy 3rd Birthday Beckham

Months after being kicked off Jess's blog, I am back as a guest columnist. There has been some gentle prodding...Jess loves these sappy birthday messages...I think they are sappy (although I will admit to violating this in the past)...and Beckham can't read. The clincher came tonight when Jess reminded me that I have spent 4 hours watching 24 in (coincidentally) the last 24 hours and yet I can't find time to write this post.

Where to start? Beckham has grown up...he recently turned in his bottle for his Diego sippy cup. I figure we have two more years until we are no longer new parents...you can no longer lay claim to this label once your child is attending a school of some sorts. Beckham has had many fine moments over the past year that have endeared himself to me:

1) The time he told me he wanted to get a new daddy only to look at me a few minutes later to say that he had decided to keep me.

2) The time he started yelling, "watch out for the poops" when he let a floater loose while swimming with Candice in the St. George hot tub.

3) The time he screamed at me because he thought I was leaving "mom" in the Lee's Grocery Store parking lot, only to change his mind after circling back to the front of the parking lot saying, "okay, let's leave mom...I want to go to the cabin."

4) The time he gathered himself in front of "G.G." after a breakdown to ask her (in a sad voice), "do you have a present for me." Which, by the way, successfully landed him his second present in two days...a present that was not originally purchased for him.

And last but not least (ladies, get your ahhhhs ready...those of you who don't ahhhh, get ready for the sappy part)

5) A few days ago when I was playing trains with him, he sat on my lap, I kissed his head, he turned around and looked at me and said, "Daddy, I love you."

I have been thinking...Ira has turned on me and now only wants Jess to hold him...Beckham's performance of late has brought him back into the picture of favorite child. Okay Jess, I love them both equally (Beckham...when you are old enough to read this, just remember that your Dad loves double blueberry doughnuts from Tasties and may be willing to revisit this "favorite child" issue).

Happy 3rd Birthday to Beckham Jon (should have been Jonathan, but your mother talked me out of it) Shipley.




2 comments:

Robyn said...

Happy birthday Beckham! You sure are fun these days. I had a good time playing hide and go seek with you last night. I will have to teach you some real hiding places sometime. Cute cake Jess. Seeing the leftovers in your kitchen, I wasn't sure what it was all about. Now it all makes sense!

Heather said...

Ahhhhhh! :) Very great post, Jon. Katie is still laughing hysterically--I think she needs to be entertained a little more often. Happy Birthday, Beck. We love you! Katie says: "That was such a funny one! It made me laugh up a storm!"