Thursday, October 11, 2007

Poll Results

The poll results are in and we officially have a tie between Ira, Henry, and Griffin. Thank you for you input; I never imagined being so indecisive on my child's name. You can all hope for a girl on our next child (in many years) because that name is a slam dunk.

We called in the name this morning...Ira Robert Shipley. I love the name and Jess does not. I let her know last night that we had to pick a name by the morning. She woke up while I was sneaking out to work this morning and said, "just name him Ira." I know what you are saying..."Ira! I can't believe they named him Ira. He is going to have to go by his middle name." Well, I hope this is not the case and let me explain why I like the name.

I love the name because every Ira I have ever heard of has been a strong and honorable man. Ira Ames is one of our ancestors that crossed the planes and was friends with both Joseph Smith and Brigham Young. Come to find out, Ira Ames is a relative on both of our sides (which may explain the baby's webbed toe). Ira Milton Anderson was Jess's great grandfather. He died at age 32 leaving his wife with 6 young children. His eldest son whom is also named Ira quit school and went to work to support his mother and brothers and sisters. Ira Hayes was one of the flag raisers on Iwo Jima (on the famous picture of the second flag). He was honorable in battle and honorable when he returned home (as he felt it was his duty to let the parents of one of the flag raisers that was misidentified know that it was really their son), although he ended up trying to drown his battle memories in alcohol. Ira Fulton is successful and donates a lot of money to BYU, so he sounds like a good guy also. These are all the Iras that I know about. The bottom line is that I believe Ira is a strong name that will provide a great legacy for him to live up to.

Hopefully you like the name or are like Jess and hope to like the name some day. I'm sure we will get some comments on this one, so let's hear them.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

long live ira... good pick jon... jess you just focus on mothering the child let us men call the shots
-alex

Marian said...

I LOVE the name. Everytime I look at him or think of him I think of Ira. The name just grows on me.
In time Jess will love it too.

Brit H. said...

Do you realize that his initials are IRS? See, we women way over analyze things. Good name, good job...I was getting worried for a minute there...the poor kid had no name!

Dave Cook said...

"Ira! I can't believe you named him Ira. He is going to have to go by his middle name."

Leah said...

Hi!!! It's Leah!!! How the heck are ya? Love the blog!

First of all I didn't even know you guys were pregnant!!! Congratulations!!! I can't believe it but baby #2 is just as adorable as Beck! You guys make 'um sooo cute!

Second of all, Dave's wrong! Ira is the PERFECT name! As a matter of fact, Ira is the middle name of my Grandpa, Wesley Ira Mathews, who was an amazing man and a GENIUS. Literally. So, your baby will probably be very, very smart. (We named Drew Wesley after him.)

Anyway, you guys are just darling! Hope everything is going well!