Monday, June 02, 2008

Death Cab



We went and saw Death Cab on Memorial Day at Thanksgiving Point. We drove over at 7:00 thinking that we might be able to buy some tickets from people desperate to offload them (since doors were supposed to open at 5:00). When we got there, they still had not opened the doors and there was an incredible line weaving around the parking lots. It didn't look like we were going to have luck buying tickets, so we decided to just come back and park outside the fence and listen to the concert.

Our plan worked out better than we had thought it would; we spent some of the concert about 50 yards behind the stage...where the sound was great, however you couldn't see the band (they played Why You'd Want To Live Here while we were in that spot...it was really good). Soon after that song, security asked us to move to the front-side of the facility, so we moved to a place where you could see the stage, but the sound wasn't perfect (but still pretty good). I took this picture from the second spot; my eyes are bad, so this was about all I could see. Jess says she could see everyone on stage pretty well. I decided my favorite Death Cab song is Marching Bands Of Manhattan...it was awesome. Jess really liked their new song, I Will Possess Your Heart. Their last song of the encore, Transatlanticism was also really strong.

Anyway, we are hoping they continue to book good bands at Thanksgiving Point so that we can take the kids and listen to some good music in the summer air.

6 comments:

Robyn said...

Nothing like a free ticket to a concert. Brian Regan is coming in August. I think we should go!

Unknown said...

Brian Regan is pretty expensive. I don't know Dave Ramses would feel about that if you are caught up on the steps. But you would know Robyn, you have the book.

Jon, that sounds like an awesome time: a free concert. I will have to join you and Jess next time you do that.

I cannot believe that nobody has left a comment. I found this post much more interesting than other posts. Jon - will you post more often?

Jon said...

Thank you Dave. Unfortunately Robyn does not have the book yet; I am about half way through it and Jess is threatening to read it as well. Robyn's Total Money Makeover will have to wait. I think Robyn was planning on taking the free route, but I bet Brian Regan will be at the waterfall (which won't work).

Jessica said...

Dave,

Honesty!

Matt said...

I was wondering if you guys were going to go to this show. I am jealous!

I agree with Dave - this was a refreshing and interesting post.

Marching Bands of Manhattan has always been my favorite DCFC song. For me there is not a close second.

I am not a big fan of I Will Possess Your Heart.

Narrow Stairs is much weaker than Transatlanticism (their most solid album) or Plans, but I still enjoy some of the new stuff such as Grapevine Fires and Your New Twin Sized Bed.

Robyn said...

I already bought tickets to Brian Regan. Yeah, I guess until I get the book in my hands I can't be held accountable for my spending habits. Dave, I thought you had slacked this whole time, but it looks like Jon decided to step in front of the line for the beloved book. I will just have to wait.